Monday, April 11, 2016

Come on YouTube, Time for an Update

Here is the letter I wrote for our class assignment:

April 6, 2016

YouTube, LLC
901 Cherry Ave.
San Bruno, CA 94066

Dear Content Review Staff,

I am writing to request that a feature be added to your flagging tools.

A few months ago I was watching a video on YouTube with my family, including my 9 year-old brother and 8 year-old sister. That particular video used vulgar language which took us all by surprise. None of us had viewed the video before that time and there was no warning of any kind. My parents and I have admittedly become rather desensitized to profanity over the years, which I believe is partially a result of the way profanity is portrayed in popular media. However, that does not mean we condone its use.

In an effort to protect my younger siblings, I generally view any given form of media before sharing it with my family so I am fully aware of the content they might be exposed to. This gives me the ability to skip objectionable content or suggest a particular video not be viewed at all. I do not yet have children of my own, but when that time comes I am concerned about their potential exposure to profanity in the YouTube community as well. I know some YouTube channels go the effort of bleeping out profane language, but in my experience they are few in number.

“Vulgar language” is listed as a category taken into consideration when evaluating content as appropriate for all ages in the YouTube Help Center under “Policies, safety, and reporting” > “Reporting Center” > “Age-restricted content”. This page further states, “Some videos don't violate our policies, but may not be appropriate for all audiences. In these cases our review team may place an age restriction when we're notified of the content.” The section labeled “Flagging content” (also found under “Reporting Center”) says, “We rely on YouTube community members to flag content that they find inappropriate.”

As a member of the YouTube community, I would welcome the opportunity to flag vulgar language as inappropriate when I observe its use, but this option does not currently exist. Language is not listed as one of the options under the “Report” tool on any given video. No option for “Other” issues exists either, so I am unable to flag any videos for the use of profanity.

I hope you will seriously consider this issue and provide users such as myself with the ability to help contribute to making the YouTube community safer for viewers of all ages.

Sincerely,
Jason Eldredge

No comments:

Post a Comment