Saturday, March 26, 2016

"Guilty" as Charged



Ever since we had the lecture on music (2 months ago now), I have been thinking about writing this post. The song "Guilty" by Newsboys came up in the playlist I was listening to on my iPod last night and with Easter Sunday this weekend I believe this to be the perfect time to write about this topic.

Christian Rock/Pop is my favorite music genre. Before I served my mission I was under the impression that this genre was really stigmatized, but maybe that is because I grew up in the "Mormon bubble" of Utah County. I never understood why it would have such a bad reputation and looking back I really wish I knew! I think the genre is awesome!

Most of the music I listened to in high school was whatever came on the pop radio stations, which turned out to be a lot of Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Nickelback, Ke$ha, Jason Derulo, Bruno Mars and OneRepublic (to name a handful). Not all of their music is terrible, but many of the artists I have listed here had hit songs that I would not exactly consider "wholesome". Unlike many of the songs that become so popular they are known by almost everyone, I have never heard a Christian rock/pop song that has ever caused me to second guess what I was listening to. I wish this uplifting music (which in my opinion can be just as catchy as "Poker Face", "Hot n Cold" or "Just The Way You Are") was as well known in popular culture!

When we were discussing music in class we talked about tone vs. lyrics. One of the studies we talked about in class found that lyrics had more of an effect than tone did, which I found intriguing. At that time I remember realizing why I like Christian music so much: The tone gets me pumped, grabs my attention and makes me want to listen to a song over and over, but when I really pay attention to the lyrics I often find them very inspiring.

At the end of that lecture we watched the music video for "Soldier" by Gavin DeGraw. I was captivated by the song immediately and bought it off iTunes as soon as I got home that afternoon! The beat (tone) caught my attention early, but the lyrics really touched me.

The first time I heard "Guilty" by Newsboys I had the opposite experience. When I heard the first line of the lyrics I was hooked! After listening to the song for a little longer, the tone hit the spot for me as well.

Verse 1 of the song goes as follows:

"When did it become breaking a rule,
To say Your name out loud in school?
When Your name's the only one that sets us free.

When did it become incorrect,
To speak the truth about life and death?
When Your life gave us all eternity."

All of my favorite Christian songs strengthen my testimony of the Savior and the Gospel every time I listen to them. In my honest opinion, many of these songs are as powerful as the LDS hymns. I love the message of "Guilty" for that reason. The overall message of the song, at least in my interpretation of it, is that our belief in Christ should defy anything that mortals may impose on us to restrict religion. Even though all the Christian artists I listen to are probably not LDS, I find great strength in the testimonies they express through their music and I can always find a line or theme that agrees with the teachings of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I want to give a very special shout-out to my good friend John Kunz in New Jersey for being who I consider the person that introduced me to this wonderful genre of music. I am grateful for how this music has impacted my life in many positive ways and it makes up the majority of what I listen to on a regular basis now. Thank you John!

Happy Easter everyone! Jesus the Christ lives and truly set us free from the bonds of physical and spiritual death. I do not believe God will allow America to sink to so low a point that "serving [Him] is against the law of man", but if that day should ever come I hope to find myself among the "guilty".

4 comments:

  1. Always refreshing to find good music with a good message. I'd be interested to know what other songs are on your playlist with "Guilty" as I am always looking for fun new songs that are clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For starters, I would start with 107.5 FM (K-LOVE as mentioned in the comment thread below) if you are ever listening to the radio.

      A few specific songs that come to mind are: "Because He Lives (Amen)" by Matt Maher, "Glow in the Dark" by Jason Gray, and "This is Amazing Grace" by Phil Wickham.

      Other artists I would recommend (in no particular order) are: MercyMe ("Greater" and "You Know Better" are both high on my list), Tenth Avenue North, The Afters, Third Day, Big Daddy Weave (especially "Redeemed"), Building 429, Casting Crowns, Jeremy Camp, Josh Wilson, Steven Curtis Chapman, and Sidewalk Prophets.

      Hope that helps! Let me know if you find a song and/or artist not mentioned here!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE Christian Rock, and the K-LOVE radio station is where it is at for me. I've also had a similar journey as you, for my love of Christian rock. It is nice to know I'm not the only one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! If I'm not listening to my iPod while driving then I definitely have K-LOVE playing! Nice to hear I'm in good company.

      Delete